The church is some distance south of Ravenglass village. Use the southern (or coach) entrance to Muncaster Castle (SatNav CA18 1RJ) just off the A595
The village of Ravenglass, dating back tot he Roman occupation of Britain (AD43 to c.AD410) and the largest centre of population on the Eskdale Benefice, is unusual in that the church, dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels, is some distance away surrounded by the gardens of Muncaster Castle. This reflects its close links with the Pennington family who have been at Muncaster since at least 1208. Before that, the monks of Furness Abbey had recognised that on this great Fell they could safely live and graze their sheep.
The current church dates from sometime in the 12th century although the site had been of religious significance to the local community probably from pre-Christian times. An Anglo-Norse preaching cross in the churchyard dates from around 950AD and an ancient burial mound is also present.
The church is Grade 1 listed, having been reworked in the 16th century. There have been later additions and alterations, including a restoration and the addition of a north transept in 1874 by Anthony Salvin. Further repairs and a renovation were carried out for the 2000 Millennium with the aid of a substantial English Heritage grant. In the north transept is an interesting Forster and Andrews organ. The church has particularly fine stained glass windows in the arts and Crafts style and the Madonna and Child in the vestry is possibly by William Morris himself.
Two thirds of the churchyard is now closed and maintained by Copeland Borough Council. In the open section of the churchyard, spaces remain available for burials and there is a Garden of Remembrance for the interment of ashes.
▪ 1st Sunday: 11.00am Eucharist
▪ 3rd Sunday: 11.00am Eucharist
Please check for variations in these arrangements under Covid
David Dickinson . 01946 693674